Saturday 31 August 2013

'STONEMAD' - Frank Duffy 10Mile Race Report

'But your better at making the porridge' was the response I got from my better half when  the alarm went off at 7am and I suggested that it was time to get up for the Frank Duffy 10mile. I was pretty sure that this was just a ploy to ensure that she would have another 20 minutes in the cot given that typically she tells me that my porridge is muck!

I had planned and prepped well from the night before so we were all ready to leave the house by 8.10. Having initially toyed with the idea of going to the Red Cow, taking the Luas and getting the shuttle, we decided to drive as far into the Pheonix Park as possible. You know I get more like my dad the older I get ! He would get to every appointment he had way before time and I mean way before - Doctors appointment at 2...he'd be there at 12.30..It used to drive my poor mother insane because of course he would drag her along! You see, I hear 5000 competitors and I think if we don't go on time we'll end up having to park miles away, walk for an hour, end up running cos we're late and be knackered before I start at all...well i'ts plausible is'nt it? Anyway it took us 20 minutes to get there and we were able to park in the park and as close to the start as made no difference......of course the refrain is still ringing in my ears 'I told you we were leaving to early'!

For a while we sat watching other competitors arrive and they all looked 10 times fitter than me to a body. Again I let  that 'am I deluded?' question off its leash for a moment but quickly coralled it again by telling myself - 'no you've trained and your ready - now get on with it' 

c.I spent the next hour in the lead up to the start chatting to Mary, taking in the atmosphere, getting my bearings, changing, warming up and queing for the loo - 3 TIMES !! OK HERE'S A BIG REVEAL - in the words of Michael Caine - not many people know this ! I suffer from stage fright ! - C'mon I can't be the only one..you've got to know what I'm talking about lads! That need to perform and the complete and absolute inability to do so because you just can't get the thought of that queue of people, just outside the door, waiting on YOU! Doctor's surgeries are the worst, once that question is asked ' Now if you would't mind peeing into this, the Doctor is WAITING ON YOU !!! 
You see...it is a real condition....now stop laughing!
With relief finally achieved, I gave Mary a squeeze and slotted into my chosen Wave 2, 80-95 Minutes (90-95 was my goal). After a bit of soft shoe shuffling to the start we were off. I had decided to go out easy and steady for the first couple of KM's fairly confident that I could pick up any lost time as the race went on. Staying with the pack I knew would help with this, however with a couple of glances at the watch, although it felt I was running easy and comfortable, I was already in my goal pace zone - I put it down to excitement and adrenaline!

At about the 3KM mark I found myself on the shoulder of a lady wearing a luminous orange running shirt with the word 'STONEMAD' emblazoned on the back. I decided that 'STONEMAD' was going to be my run buddy for the rest of the race - apart from the fact that her shirt I thought accurately described the challenge upon which I am embarking, her pace and rhythm seemed one close to my own and I knew from previous experience that having a persons pace to focus on as well as my watch would help greatly. The next 10KM or so was pretty uneventful...and flat...I love flat. I tick tacked with STONEMAD and she with me...there wasn't a word spoken but I think she had made the same decision as me. I took on a Gel as planned at about 10KM and that gave me a much needed boost and I hydrated pretty well throughout..something I often forget to do.

Of course I knew the course was going to get tougher at some point and about the 12/13 KM mark they stuck a hill in which wasn't particularly steep but inclined for about 500 meters or so. Having already run further at this point than I had so far this year, the hill took its toll on my legs, lungs and the nice steady rhythm that I had maintained to this point which made the remaining, slightly more technical, 3km of the course a bit more of a struggle for me than I would have liked. I also lost 'STONEMAD' at this point the hill doing its worst on her efforts also.

The last KM was tough going and I was glad when I finally glimpsed the finish line ahead. Fearing that I might not make it in under my goal time I sprinted (Ha..Ha..Ha) in to complete in 1.34.28 - Just made it (it was a little longer than 10Miles!!) 

Overall I was delighted with my effort and really enjoyed the run. I had intended to turn around and watch for 'STONEMAD' to cross the line and thank her for being my 'run buddy' but all I could think of after crossing the line was satisfaction and fatigue. Did she finish...of course she did...of that I have no doubt.!


Looks like STONEMAD had been there before and was definitely wearing the SHIRT 1

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments