Friday 11 October 2013

Another Perspective!

The 11th of October 2013 not only signals that I am now 4 months and counting from the magic number 50 but it also marks another very important date in my annual calendar.  The 11th of October is the day I married Mary, and this year makes it 28 years ago! Now I'm not going to get all gushy or anything like that but it has to be said that without Mary's support on my IRONMAN journey it genuinely wouldn't happen, she is always there cheering me on (her definition of which is sitting in the car and arriving at the finish line with minutes to spare!) and is the first smile I look for when I complete every event - For all of that and more I Love Her. 

She's been going on at me for ages saying that the readers of my blog don't really know the story of what it's like with the training, competing and preparing for my IRONMAN Challenge - that is of course, she maintains, because you haven't heard the story from HER perspective.So I told her to put pen to paper and write a post that would do just that...and she has....and here it is:

The Wife of an IRONMAN in training......The Real Truth!

To all you lovely people out there who so kindly read my husbands blog each month , Thank you. .. Having read Johns blogs I felt that I had to share my side of the story... “the no. 1 fan experience” so to speak of what it’s like to share life with John on his journey leading up to this Wonderful Iron Man Event..Zurich 2014!!!

A brief account of what happened the weekend we were going to Tri an Mhi.......


Its Friday evening , Yipee.. Finish up work for the weekend.  Arrive home and as I enter the house all I can hear is the Dolby sound blaring from the TV, Its like a Cinema ..Then I notice a bicycle race on the TV and it dawns on me that tomorrow -Saturday John is going to participate at the “ Tri an Mhi” event .. oh Sugar .. no wine tonight!

As we eat our dinner together (It has to be pasta and bread- Carbs for the race !!! not my favourite I might add! )the main conversation is about the IRONMANthat is replayed for the tenth time on the TV, from some country or other, the timings of races, the different bikes, the hills etc... mother of sweet divine .. its going to be a long night ! I better seem interested... “ a glass of wine would do the trick “

 John is very excited preparing for the following day...the madness begins    

He paces the floor scratching his head, about 5 lists of what to bring, I just wish he could put all the stuff in one box and have it ready, but NO it has to be a big drama.. then just when I sit down I get “ you didn’t happen to see my nose plugs “ nose Plugs ! even if I did I would probably not know what they were and would have thrown them in the bin.. I’ll play dumb .. No I say didn’t see them and I give him one of my very false smiles.. in order words will you stop wrecking my head..

Decision made,  I’m definitely having a glass of wine..

 I smile, you ok John? as he arrives in from the shed with the wet suit.. that wet suit is like a person in our kitchen and it really spooks me out.. especially if I come up for a drink during the night ..I get such a fright, it’s like a ghost in the kitchen – an instant reminder of what’s to come (mind you I do fancy him in lycra)!!       

Imagine This In The Dark - Especially After 3 Glasses of Wine!

                  
Not  1 , but 2 hours later  all seems to be packed, then suprise suprise he does a check list , ah for F... sake .. its at that moment that I come up with a plan, for the next Triathlon  I could go out the night before ? I’ll say nothing just yet..(my secret)
  
The bike rack has to be put on the car, another drama ! the amount of noise and fixing is unbelievable and this happens every time.. John I say don’t make to much noise the neighbours might be asleep! His look said it all - I think I ll have another glass of wine

Makes Talking IRONMAN Interesting!!
Eventually he’s all happy packed and ready to go !! I’m happy to after 2 glasses of wine, I might even have a 3rd one !!!

 I casually ask what time we setting off at? John replied 6 am... well you could hear me in Meath 6 am !! oh good God..( now that’s torture)...I replied in Mrs Browns best voice  “THATS NICE!
So I guzzled the  3rd glass of wine...6 am no longer seems to bad. and off we go to bed..

I open one eye, NO WAY am I getting up its the middle of the night, I hear Johns Alarm.. I try to reach over to knock it off so as we could sleep it in but no he is out of bed like a lark, I don’t think he slept all night.. I pretend I hear nothing.. no way I am getting up...All is quiet and then John arrives with a cup of coffee.. oh dear I better be nice and get up its 6am.. I look out the window and nearly collapse with palpataions its pouring , gale force winds am I dreaming or what. !

Are you still going John? And I’m hoping he says NO ..Oh yes ..he says.. that sorts that out.. breakfast finished..ready to leave , and guess what another check list...
We start off on the way to Meath never seen the like of the weather before. Due to arrive to register before 9 am we were there for 8am!!
I take one look in at Lough Lene and you know what I think they are all stone mad... I look around bleary eyed and see people arrive, the excitement is mounting..

John registers, cars arrive and people from all walks of life arrive but yet they all look the same as they are dressed alike.. All ages all sizes...all freezing
John is engrossed looking at the various bikes and he is telling me all about  the different types ...  yippee so exciting at 8am does he realise how tired I am.. !!
I have to go to transition to see where his bike is placed ..on route I get the full run down .. then John needs the toilet, here we go again ... I hope he does not hold up the que!!

It’s time for the briefing I always listen to this, well I pretend to listen, I look around , the bodies are now shaking, Lough Lene is so rough. 3,2,1 ready to go and  I get the kiss , off he goes , I follow them down , it’s hard to pick out your own as the swim hats are all the one colour.. I say my silent prayer..
Look after him God.. I wait for him to arrive out , wet suit half off, into transition for the bike..off he goes....I’m going back to the car for a long sleep...

By now and after many events I know his timing, so I set my phone, Ill have a sleep for an hour and a half. Wake up and head back to finish line and wait..people start to arrive ..not many fans out today it’s so wet..10 minutes after his due time I see my John, my IRONMAN running down to the finish line, I’d know his run/waddle anywhere.. My heart leaps Thank God he made it.. he looks for me and we smile.. I get a sloppy sweaty kiss..I am so proud of him.. The getting back home is another long story but I will save that for some other time.

I will finish by saying despite my moans and groans and believe me I do a lot of that. I love to be part of this big challenge for John...I think I might even become his coach !!! so take care to you all and remember “LIFE IS NOT MEASURED BY THE NUMBER OF BREATHS YOU TAKE BUT BY THE MOMENTS THAT TAKE YOUR BREATH AWAY”  ..ps..Marathon in  2 weeks !!  Mary

Thanks Mary......Love it....Happy Anniversary ......... but folks ..........don't believe a word I'm totally organised....Honest!

Till next time...Post Marathon

Take Care

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments